Royals of the Waala traditional kingdom have refuted earlier presser organized by another section of the royals on Tuesday August 22, 2023 throwing their weight behind Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia’s Presidential cadidature.
At the forecourt of the Waala Traditional Council on August 25, 2023, in a press conference, Naa Hamidu Badiu Ahmed representative of the royals from all the four (4) gates of the Waala Traditional Council noted that, the earlier presser was put together by loyalists of Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia and not the royals of the Waala Traditional Kingdom and hence urged the public to disregard the earlier report that they have taken a side ahead of the NPP Special Delegates Conference.
“We wish to categorically state that, the said press conference was not sanctioned by the official mouthpiece of we the royals and we therefore wish to clear the air by distancing ourselves as royals from that unfortunate statement issued by those people. This is so regrettable and condemnable by all standards” the statement reads in part.
Naa Hamidu further stated that, it will be high level of hypocrisy on the part of the Waala royals to be endorsing the candidature of Dr. Bawumia’s candidature mainly because he is a northern brother and royal adding that, several sons and daughters of the North who are royals also contested for positions in the country but were never endorsed based on their tribe or royality.
He adds that “as royals and custodians of tradition of the people, we should be seen as beacon of peace, unity and development and not detractors of peace as exhibited by that group”.
Below is the full speech by the Royals (Waale Nabiihe) of the Waala Traditional Kingdom.
WAALE NABUHI (PRINCES AND PRINCESSESI DID NOT ENDORSE OR DECLARE SUPPORT FOR DR, MAHAMUD BAWUMIA’S CANDIDATURE FOR NPP PRESIDENTIAL
Ladies and gentlemen of the press, on behalf of the Princes and princesses of the four Royal gates of Wa, I wish to warmly welcome you to this press organized by the Royals with representation from the four Gates of the Waala Traditional Kingdom, held here at the Wa Naa’s Palace.
Ladies and gentlemen of the press, our attention was drawn to a press conference organized on Tuesday 22nd August, 2023 by a cross section of some Royals who are loyalists of Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, led by one Mr. Jamal Adama Kpegla who gathered here and declared their support for the candidacy of the Vice President, Dr Mahamadu Bawumia for the upcoming NPP Presidential Primaries on behalf of all Royals.
We to categorically state that the said press conference was not sanctioned by the official mouthpiece of we the Royals and we therefore wish to clear the air by distancing ourselves as Royals from that unfortunate statement issued by those people. This is so regrettable and condemnable by all standards.
We wish to state that:
1. Per our own laws and practice, the Waala Traditional Council or Secretariat remains the only recognized highest decision-making body of the Kingdom which is made up the four royal gates, namely; Yijihi Gate, represented by Busa Naa, Naa Jeri Gate represented by Kperisi-Naa, Jonyuohi Gate represented by Sing Naa and Naa-Kpaha Gate, represented by Guli-Naa, not unofficial group.
2. Our checks from all the royal gates and the overlord of the Waala Tradional Kingdom, Wa Naa Fuseini Pelpuo IV indicated that they have no knowledge and did not sanction that press conference. At what point did the Waala Traditional Council delegate those so-called Waale Nabiihi to organize that press conference usurping the lawful authority of the Waala Traditional Council? Those who organized that press conference and made such mischievous political statements, in whose capacity were they acting?
3. The group also indicated in their press conference that they pledged their support for the Vice President Dr Bawumia because he is a royal from Northern Ghana. We see this as a mark of hypocrisy since this is not the first time a royal from Northern Ghana is contesting to become President of Ghana. Historically, the late President Dr Hilla Limann contested for Presidency on the ticket of the People’s National Party (PNP) in the year 1979 who was never been endorsed by such group. The late Vice President Aliu Mahama contested for Presidency in 200 but was never been endorsed by such group. Also, President John Dramani Mahama contested in 2012 and 2016, and as a matter of fact, he is still contesting to become a President of Ghana in 2024 yet this self-secking group never saw it prudent to declare their support for him. The Right Honorable Speaker Alban Sunmaana Bagbin ever contested in the 2018 NDC Presidential primaries but was never been endorsed by any group. In fact, it is worth noting that all these personalities mentioned are royals from Northern Ghana and as northerners, we see ourselves as one people from the same descendant.
4. Also, we wish to state that, that press conference organized by that group should trigger national security attention because the 1957 Discrimination Act, banned politics of tribal, religion and other forms of discrimination in Ghana.
5. As royals and custodians of tradition of the people, we should be seen as beacon of peace, unity and development and not detractors of peace, as exhibited by that group.
In conclusion, we wish to call on the general public to disregard that
press conference and treat it with all the necessary contempt that it deserves.
Long Live Wala Traditional Kingdom!
Long Live Ghana!!
Naa Hamidu Badiu Ahmed.