Final year students of T.I Ahmaddiya Senior High School in Wa in the Upper West Region got one of the toughest experiences after fire razes their dormitory on Saturday June 27,2020 displacing them.
School authorities say the students lost all their belongings comprising books, clothes and other valuable items that were in the dormitory at the time of the fire. The authority added that the 30 final year students passed Saturdays’ night at the school’s dinning hall whiles authorities advance plans in getting them a place to stay till their exams are over.
Abubakari Zulfawu who narrated their ordeal to the press said ” I was just lying down inside the room when I heard people shouting, in this school too when water is flowing they are always shouting so we thought that it was water that was flowing and they were just making noise like that. A friend of us who was standing over there shouted that those in the room should please come out, so when we came out the fire was already on the varinder so we passed through this side and all our properties got burnt” she stated.
Meanwhile personnel of the Ghana fire service who were called to the scene struggled with the fire over one and a half hour before they could extinguished it.
Deputy Upper West Regional Commander of the Ghana Fire Service, Eugene Asah Gyekye told the media that the command has commenced investigation into the incident adding that, the fans regulators were burnt completely but was quick to add that they have identified leeway including coalports to aid them in their probing.
However, Officers of the National Disaster Management Organisation led by the Upper West Regional Director, Mr. Ahmed Mustapha were at the school to ascertain the rate of damage and see to the safety of the students by identifying a temporary place where the students can be accommodated for the mean time.
“We are just looking at the safety of the students, where is it that we can allocate to them temporary for them to stay, we will check those that don’t have mattresses, those that don’t have buckets, that’s what we are looking at to make sure that they are safe on campus till they write their exams” Mr. Ahmed noted.
This incident occurred after the Islamic Senior High School suffered twice similar fire incidents at their girls dormitory block some months ago.
By: Saeed Fatawu|myradiowaa.com|92.1fm|