The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has suspended Mali from all ECOWAS decision-making bodies with immediate effect.
This follows a mutiny in the country on Tuesday, August 18, 2020, which has ousted a democratically elected President of the country, President Ibrahim Boubacar Kéita, from office.
The ECOWAS Commission in a statement dated Tuesday, August 18, 2020, said the decision to suspend Mali from its decision-making bodies was “per the Additional Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance.”
It said the decision will be in force until effective reinstatement of constitutional order in Mali.
It also demanded the immediate implementation of sanctions against all putschists and their partners and collaborators.
ECOWAS also demanded the safety and security of the ousted president and the immediate release of all high officials in Kéita’s government who have been arrested.
Below is the statement
- Following its statement published during the day of August 18th, 2020, reporting on an on-going mutiny within the Malian Armed Forces,ECOWAS has noted with great concern the seizure of power by Malian military putschists.
- This seizure of power intervenes within a difficult socio-political context. Indeed, ECOWAS recalls that a mediation process has been on-going during the last two months, with a view to find a solution to this crisis. Following this power grab by Malian military putschists, which is likely to have a negative impact on peace and stability in Mali and in the Sub-Region, ECOWAS:
- a) Utterly condemns the overthrowing of President Ibrahim Boubacar Kéita’s democratically elected Government;
- b) Categorically denies any kind of legitimacy to the putschists and demands the immediate reinstatement of the constitutional order;
- c) Reminds the military their accountability for the safety and security of President Ibrahim Boubacar Kéita and officials arrested;
- d) Demands the immediate release of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita and of all official arrested;
- e) Suspends Mali from all ECOWAS decision-making bodies with immediate effect, as per the Additional Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance, and this, until effective reinstatement of the constitutional order;
- f) Decides to close all land and air borders, as well as to stop all economical, trade and financial flows and transactions between ECOWAS Member States and Mali, and encourages all partners to do the same;
- g) Requests the immediate activation of the ECOWAS Standby Force;
- h) Demands the immediate implementation of sanctions against all putschists and their partners and collaborators;
- i) Decides to dispatch a high-level delegation to ensure immediate return to constitutional order;
- j) Decides to remain seized of the situation in Mali.